Most women sometimes get vaginal infections. Among the symptoms of this infection we would highlight:
- Vaginal discharge of a color other than usuall, denser and with a different smell
- Burning when urinating
- Pain and swelling in the area around the vagina
- Discomfort during sex
The main causes are certain living organisms, such as bacteria, fungi or viruses, but also external agents, such as intimate hygiene products or spermicides.
+ Frequently asked questions about vaginal infections
What are the main vaginal infections?
Chlamydia or Chlamydial infection. Caused by the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis (Chlamydia) and in most cases, it is asymptomatic, making diagnosis difficult.
The most common signs are, whitish tone secretions with a different smell than usual, bleeding and pain.
It is very important to see a doctor because if this infection is allowed to progress, it can damage a woman's reproductive organs and cause infertility.
Bacterial vaginosis Its most obvious symptoms, such as a weak flow and white or grayish secretions with a fish-like smell. It can also be accompanied by itching in the outer area of the vagina and itching when urinating.
Candidiasis vaginal. It is a fungus regularly present in the intestinal and vaginal flora of the woman that causes infection when it reproduces rapidly. It is very common in women of reproductive age and the most common symptoms are itching and genital burning, vulvar redness, urination, pain or discomfort during intercourse and vaginal discharge of whitish appearance. This infection that comes from the fungus candida albicans, which is naturally present in the body. The problem arises when it reproduces massively due to changes in the acidity of the vagina.
Candidiasis is one of the most common and uncomfortable vaginal infections, as the symptoms can lead to irritation so annoying that it is difficult to bear. Some of these symptoms include swelling, in addition to itching or burning in the vulva area. Vaginal discharge acquires a whitish yellowish tone and is denser than usual.
Why does candidiasis occur?
The causes that can cause candidiasis to proliferate uncontrollably are:
- Changes in vaginal pH (make it less acidic)
- Hormonal changes (pregnancy, use of hormonal contraceptives, menopause)
- Changes in bacterial flora (recent use of antibiotics)
- Immune system decrease (cancer, diabetes, obesity)
- Excessive and prolonged humidity.
What is vaginitis?
Also called vulvovaginitis, is an inflammation or infection of the vagina. It can also affect the vulva, the outer part of a woman's genitals. Vaginitis can cause itching, pain, discharge and smell.
It is common, especially in women of reproductive age. It usually occurs when there is a change in the balance of bacteria normally found in your vagina. There are different types of vaginitis, which have different causes, symptoms and treatments.
Many things can change the balance of these bacteria, including:
- Take antibiotics
- Use an intrauterine device
- Having unprotected sex
- Having many sexual partners
What kind of preventions should be taken to avoid vaginal infections?
- An proper hygiene The intimate area is the best way to maintain good genital health. Although hygiene is important so that infections do not develop, the truth is that we must avoid douching to avoid killing the bacteria that protect our intimate area
- Take the necessary preventive measures when having sex.
- Avoid tight clothes. This type of clothing blocks the ventilation of the intimate area and creates a warm and humid environment that allows bacterial growth.
- Change clothes after exercising. The sweat that is released during the training routine is absorbed into clothing and can cause infections.
- Do not use perfumes, soaps and vaginal deodorants because they alter the natural flora of the intimate area.
- Strengthen the immune system. The immune system is responsible for producing antibodies to fight against the pathogens that try to attack our body. Therefore, a balanced diet, daily water intake and other healthy habits are the fundamental ways to strengthen it.
- Some drugsLike antibiotics, they weaken the bacterial flora and can cause the appearance of fungi in the female genital tract. While some are designed to control infections, many viruses and bacteria have developed a resistance that allows them to attack.
Do you want more information or consult your case?